Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Grail Color

Some may wonder what I have been up to (while I have not been here posting here, right?). In addition to discovering this to be The Busiest Fall Ever for my family, I have also been working on my commissions, with an emphasis on pushing toward the completion of the Eberl "Galina" that I have had in progress for quite some time.

It is a thrill and relief to come to the final stretch of work to be done on this girl! I think that many artists have at least one "grail color." This is the color that their soul tells them that they must paint, even though they have more questions than answers about how to go about it. Dapple grey and appaloosa patterns are my personal grail colors.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of the horse colors, but these are the ones that I feel a drive to study in depth.  I'd like to put down some thoughts about the questions I have had about these colors (and the best answers I have found thus far) in an upcoming post.  Just like my progress on this piece, these questions aren't all straight forward, and it will be a challenge to translate these visual matters into comprehensible words.

So for today I'll just share a sneak peek of this girl, with the hope that her final photos are very soon to come.

Eberl "Galina" sculpture
with finishwork in progress by Karen Beeson ©2012

No comments:

Post a Comment