Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dappling, dappling, and more dappling

Hi All!

I'm sharing a quick snap of the horses that I have been concentrating on in the studio this week. This is the (very intensely) dappled group. After every few days of work on these, I need to take a bit of a "break" from the intensity, and rotate back to the appaloosas. That is not something I can say very often; it is usually the appaloosas that I need to take the break from!

It works out best for me to not work straight through on one horse. It makes a huge difference to come back to the piece with fresh eyes and fresh enthusiasm. Sometimes I notice things that weren't working well and can change them. Other times I have new ideas about how to approach the piece.


4 comments:

  1. Oooh!!! gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see them when they are complete! Especially that Dafyyd!! I work the opposite way - I HAVE to plunge forward until a piece is complete or I lose my momentum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are already looking gorgeous Karen! The dappled buckskin is my dream color on a Dafydd! I have a photo of a dappled buckskin Welsh Cob in on of my reference books that is so droolicious. Your guy is already looking amazing. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Michele! How interesting! I'd love to hear more about how you work. Do you work on one piece at a time then? I usually get very burned out after a few days of work on a piece, so I have to do a lot of shuffling from one to another. Does your enthusiasm keep you on track, or do you need to do something to keep yourself on task? I have a lot of "room to grow" and I'm sure there is a lot I could learn about making myself stick to one horse until it is complete. I'd say that I'm fine during the initial 10% and final 10% of the work, but the long stretch in the middle is where I lose the momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit more about that...as I mentioned in the post, I enjoy some of what happens during that time, such as coming back to the piece fresh and having new ideas, and I don't think I could ever work straight on one piece from start to finish. I do, however, think my process would improve with a little more attention to one piece and less shifting in those middle stages that I mentioned above. I think it would be win-win all around if I could get to that point!

    ReplyDelete