Tuesday, October 23, 2012

GLC Collectibility and Workmanship Stir Fry

I didn't intend to have a two week gap between my most recent post and today. Three model horse shows in four weeks and the start of several more school activities for my boys pushed everything back a bit, but we are now back on track.

Today we will take a virtual visit to the first of those three shows, the GLC No Frills Series Collectibility and Workmanship Stir Fry, which was held on September 29. The extensive class list has made this show one of my favorite annual shows in our region. Classes are offered for chinas, custom glazed models, customs, resins, and original finish Breyers.

Each custom and artist resin model has the chance to show in a color class, a customization class (such as drastic, moderate, etc.), and a medium class (pastel, acrylic, etc.). There are also special classes for models painted by their owners. I brought a tiny custom/resin show string, but these classes still had me hopping during the early part of the day. I didn't manage to get my camera out as much as I would have liked, but Chris Wallbruch's stunning "Saadiqua" resin (sculpted by Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig and painted by Tom Bainbridge) called out for a photo.


The Overall Grand Champion went to this rich chestnut customized and painted by Tiffany Purdy and owned by Marilou Mol. 


Two models from my own studio brought home some rosettes too. Little "Lumi" was dwarfed by his workmanship rosette.


My "Dew" had a double workmanship championship. 


I only managed to snap one photo during the entire china division, but it was a really cute one. This is a Coopercraft Donkey. 


The later part of the day brought more time for me to walk around and enjoy the entries in the OF Breyer division. The class list rivaled the OF Breyer classes at NAN, and so did the competition from the glossies, 



to the matte models.




My son Paul wanted to attend this show with me, but has not yet built a competitive selection of collectibility models, so we went through my collection and gathered some oldies for him to put out in the rings. I no longer consider myself to be an active Breyer collector, but I do still enjoy having some old favorites on my shelves, and once in a while I find a brand new Breyer that I can't resist purchasing.

I won this black PAM in the raffle at the Model Horse Congress show way back in 1986. Twenty six years later, she is still with me and look at this, she still claimed a blue ribbon in the show ring! 


The PAM is one of my favorite molds. This silver filigree also caught my eye at the show. 



The show offered a few different kinds of collector's classes. During the show I realized that we could gather eight Breyers and enter the "themed" collector class with old models from my collection. Some of the models we brought were very collectible, while others were nice but not particularly rare.  Fortunately all fit just fine under the title of "My Childhood Collection" and as a group, they even took home the blue! 


Here are two beautiful entries from the "Love that Mold" collector's class:



Our own "Little Debbie and Swiss Roll" special run set did surprisingly well in one of the horse and rider classes!  I wouldn't have known about this darling set if my husband hadn't bought a box of Swiss Rolls...



This Western Pony and rider set, complete with the original box and paper headdress was one of my favorite entries of the day. As a child, I played with my Mom's set like this, but of course, hers had long lost the box, weapons, and headdress. This set, belonging to Sande Schneider, is at least 54 years old and in "new" condition! 

Here is another "new" condition treasure with original box, owned by Sande Schneider:



The show offered some "fun" (non-NAN qualifying) classes at the very end for non-horse Breyers, and  Paul was very pleased that "Milk me Please" (who, in the past year, has mysteriously made her way from my shelf to his...hmmmm....) won her own ribbon!


Thank you to all of the folks at GLC for another wonderful day out at the show! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to both you and Paul!! (Love that last shot!!!) Some awesome models there for sure!! Loved the virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michele! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! We certainly had a wonderful time at this show.

    ReplyDelete