Saturday, February 16, 2013

Signing Tip

Wow, this blog has hit 10,000 views!  I'm so glad that it has been helpful, and perhaps interesting too. Thank you so much for reading! 

Today I have a quick tip to share. The Sakura brand Pigma Micron 005 pen is one of my studio essentials.  



The pen shown above is the black version (indicated by the color on the tip of the cap), but it also comes in a couple of other colors too.  The black is by far the most handy.  In the studio, this pen makes it easy to place a tiny black dot or line with greater precision than permitted by the brush.  It is the perfect tool for drawing in pupils on mini size models.  Some eyeballs aren't perfectly round, so it is also makes it easy to "perfect" your pupil, to work a little better with the actual shape of the eye ball.  The permanent, archival quality ink also lends itself well to touch-ups on all types of models. 

Another favorite use of this pen is in signing models. I cut a small strip from a post-it note to guide my signature and keep it straight. 



After you sign, be sure to seal your signature with a spray sealant such as Testors Dull Cote or Krylon Matte. 


2 comments:

  1. I use a micron for signing too, but I never thought of using it for drawing pupils- that's brilliant! I only paint minis, so that'll come in really handy. And the post it to keep your signature straight- so simple, yet so genius! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the tips will be helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete