Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Customs - Show for the Cure '13

I have heard that some believe the custom division to be in decline, but not at the Show for the Cure, where the classes were full, and the judges were hopping! Cory Olinger of Indiana judged custom breed halter and Chris Wallbruch judged custom workmanship. I found a great deal of eye candy to put on the blog. Please leave comments here or e-mail me if you wish to share the name of the owner or artist of the pieces shown below.

First up is the beautiful 1990's H-R Mini Custom by Sarah Minkiewicz (-Breunig), which is owned by Julie Bailey.


From the same class, we have this gentle looking Breyer G1 Drafter, which I believe was customized and painted by Jenn Kroll, followed by a few more nice draft customs.






The next photo shows a traditional size piece from the pony class. He appears to be a Sarah Minkiewicz custom, but is he? I haven't seen him before, so I'm curious! I planned to go back and get a better look, but didn't make it back to the ring before he was gone.


The next two photos show beautiful customs by Tiffany Purdy.



My very own "Imbolc," a Breyer Swaps customized by Tiffany Purdy and painted by Carol Huddleston, took a double championship in the pony division.  Carol's roans are extroardinary, and this piece is always an inspiration. 


Another captivating inspiration was shown in the Other Sport breeds class. Created by Pamala Hutton, this piece was originally known as Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. 





Later classes brought more wonderful pieces, like the below Alborozo and Lonesome Glory customs. 



This Proud Arabian Mare custom, which I believe to be by Steph Michaud, really speaks to me. 


Check out the expression on D'Arry Franks's Weather Girl custom, which is now a stallion. 



One of the best moments of the day was when Paul's filly "Baby," a Breyer Classic Arabian foal that I painted for him (and which some may remember as the foal that was "born" on Paul's desk!) took a double champ in the custom foals division. He was tired by that time of the day, but still beaming! 


Congratulations Paul! 

Check back here for more Show for the Cure photos from the resin, custom glaze, and performance divisions!  

7 comments:

  1. Hi Karen--what a nice surprise to see several of the customs I own on your blog! You were spot-on with the customizers too, the G1 drafter was customized and painted by Jenn Kroll, the pony with the big hair is a '90's era Sarah Mink, and then the amazing Joseph by Pamala Hutton.

    It was great to see you on Saturday, and thanks for posting photos here, I'm really enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous customs (LOVE that Mink pony!) and one very cute kid!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are enjoying the posts, Kim! Ah-ha! So he is a Mink pony! I was surprised to find a Mink that I don't already know of, but also didn't think that any other artist could have captured the special Mink look that your fellow has. What is his name? These are such wonderful, special models. I'm grateful that you brought them to our region so we can all enjoy them. I sure hope you come to one of the Chicago shows again, because I would love to spend more time chatting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely some great eye candy! Thank you for sharing! They are ALL beautiful! But the jumping drum horse really resonated with me. Also love the expression on "Joseph" and the Alborozo. And the Purdy Giselle had just enough customization to make her stand out. Also loved the Jen Kroll drafter, and your Swaps! Congrats to both you & Paul on your wins! I hope it's not true that the custom division is waning! I love working on my favorite molds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Michele! Kirsten, we are all fans of Chessie. Paul has a wonderful vintage book about her and her family!

    ReplyDelete